FOR SEVERE ENGINEERING APPLICATIONS
Known under the chemical name polyetheretherketone, PEEK is a quality, high performing engineering plastic suitable for a broad range of engineering applications. Thames Stockholders supplies PEEK products with the following grade options:
- PEEK - Unmodified
Supplied in natural and black finishes. For component indentification.
- PEEK GL30
Reinforced with 30% glass fibre for increased stiffness and strength
- PEEK FC30
Modified with self lubricating additives. For increased bearing performance and life
- PEEK CA30
Reinforced with carbon fibre for increased strength, stability and stiffness. Static dissipative.
- PEEK MG
Biocompatability tested grade which facilitates approval for use in medical applications
The machinability of un-modified PEEK is very good. The glass or carbon fibre reinforced grades will require tipped tooling. As with all plastic materials, experience has shown that extra care must be taken with larger diameters, especially in the colder months when plastic materials lose some of their toughness and so have less resistance to machining stresses. Full machining instructions can be supplied on request.
PEEK has good resistance to water and water vapour (un-filled material has excellent hydrolysis resistance), alcohols, esters, alkaline solutions, oils, fats and fuels. It is not resistant to sulphuric acid, nitric acid, halogens, MEK at raised temperatures.
Typical commercial applications for PEEK engineering plastic include:
- Mechanical engineering
- Automotive and general machinery construction
- Plain bearings, coil bodies
- Guide & clutch parts, gears
- Cams, rollers, slide bearings
- Seal rings and guide rails, pulleys and conveyor parts
- Combination of stiffness, tensile and impact strength
- Excellent chemical resistance
- Excellent dimensional stability under heat
- Good creep resistance and low moisture absorption
- Outstanding sliding properties (PEEK FC30)
- High wear and excellent abrasion resistance
We stock PEEK engineering plastic in extruded bar, extruded sheet/plate and tubular bar. We welcome stock enquiries from both domestic and international customers.